When the nation’s largest not-for-profit vision benefits and services company with a well-earned reputation for corporate citizenship wanted to lead the way in environmental stewardship, they looked for expertise and partnership. Learn how PRIDE Industries developed and implemented processes for that would contribute to VSP earning Platinum Certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design – Existing Buildings (LEED-EB).
VSP® Vision Care
Commercial Facilities Services and Green Solutions
VSP® Vision Care, the nation’s largest not-for-profit vision benefits and services company, is headquartered in Rancho Cordova, California. Consistently ranked as one of Fortune Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” since 2000, VSP takes great pride in its well-earned reputation for corporate citizenship. In keeping with that reputation, VSP envisioned its 500,000-square-foot campus as a healthy, environmentally responsible workplace that improves its local community.
When VSP contracted with PRIDE Industries for custodial and recycling services, the company asked PRIDE to develop and implement processes for custodial and recycling that would contribute to VSP earning Platinum Certification for the U.S. Green Building Council (USBGC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design – Existing Buildings (LEED-EB). As the highest level the USGBC awards, qualifying for Platinum required VSP to undergo long-term evaluation of processes that included recycling, environmental services, water, and energy management.
The PRIDE Solution
PRIDE brought VSP its extensive experience in creating recycling programs and its expertise in low-impact environmental cleaning services to the commercial and public sectors. PRIDE services to VSP include:
- Using Green Seal Certified® chemicals and bio renewable cleaning products
- Instituting a comprehensive recycling program
- Employing high-efficiency filtered and microfiber cleaning equipment
- Employing LEED-compliant cleaning processes to reduce chemical and product usage, while increasing cleaning effectiveness and improving air quality
Over a two-year period, PRIDE designed and implemented VSP processes for recycling management and environmentally friendly custodial services. Those efforts helped VSP achieve Platinum Certification LEED-EB for its facility, making it one of only 14 facilities in the nation to achieve this level at the time of certification in August 2008.
- VSP reduced overall waste in their flagship headquarters building by 82%.
- PRIDE adjusted custodial hours, which allowed VSP to shut down the building six hours earlier, resulting in significant energy savings.
- PRIDE completed the project with no fiscal impact to VSP.